Friday, May 24, 2024

THHP Student Phill M. Campbell Wins the Beinecke Scholarship


We congratulate Phill M. Campbell on winning the Beinecke Scholarship. Phill is a rising senior at Hunter College majoring in Media & Journalism. He is also a Blues poet and activist.

As a Mellon Mays Fellow, his research explores Harlem's 135th Street Library and the connection between its revolutionary Black orators and the blues singers of the 1920s. Specifically, he asks what their relationship can teach us about self-definition, debate, and democracy. He looks a century into the past, to those who used their voices to challenge oppression, to reconsider what may be a contemporary rise in fascism.    

We contacted Phill and asked him to tell us a little more about his latest achievement. "The Beinecke Scholarship is an opportunity for me to honor all of the everyday-intellectuals whose voices have been lost to a white-washed history," he wrote to us. "I am beyond thankful to my mentorship team, my peers, and my community for setting me on this path."

We wish Phill success in his academic endeavors and other pursuits.



No comments:

Post a Comment